Residential Tenant FAQ

Application/Move In

What is the application fee to apply for a rental?
We charge a $50 non-refundable application fee, per applicant. The $50 fee is to cover the costs of a criminal background check, credit check, and office administration costs of processing an application.

My child is over 18 years old and lives with me? Do they need to fill out an application and does their name need to be on the lease?
All people who intend to reside in the rental property over 18 years old must complete an application and be approved. Due to Fair Housing laws we cannot make an exception. If the application is approved we can exclude the child from the lease assuming you qualify for the rental on your own.

If there are 3 people over 18 years old, and all 3 fill out an application, do I have to pay $50 per each applicant?
Yes, the $50 charge is required for EACH application. We must run a background check and credit check for each person, which is why the fee is required.

If two people apply for the rental how do you choose who will be chosen?
Our tenants are chosen on a first come first serve basis. The first prospective tenant that submits a COMPLETE application and pays application fee, will have their application processed. We will not consider another applicant until the first application is processed and approved or denied.

I submitted my application online and paid the fee, but then was told someone else had submitted complete application before me. Can I receive a refund?
No, the application fee is non-refundable. Once we receive a complete application we will post online that an application is pending. You can also call our office and double check before submitting: (541) 386-5555.

I submitted a complete application with all documentation and paid the fee, when will I hear if I am approved for the house?
Typically it takes 1-2 business days for us to process the application.

If unit is not available yet and my application is accepted, what is the holding fee?
If unit is unavailable for immediate move in, tenant will be required to pay a non-refundable holding fee. The fee will be equal to ½ month’s rent. If tenant does not move-in and sign lease, holding fee will be forfeited. If tenant does move in and sign lease, holding fee will be applied towards first month’s rent.

Will I get new locks when I move in?
All locks are re-keyed with each new tenancy. Two keys will be issued at the time of possession. Alterations or replacement of locks requires prior written approval by Nunamaker Property Management.

Rent Payment

When is my rent due?
All residential rents are due on the first day of the month, and can be paid in advance. Monthly bills will not be sent. There is a four day grace period. To avoid a late fee, rent must be received by the 5th of every month. We do not accept post-dated checks.

How can I pay my rent?
You may pay your rent online or by check. To pay rent online: Go to our website and under the tenant tab, click pay rent online. You can make an electronic payment by linking your checking or savings account – no fee will be charged. You also have the option of paying your rent by credit card – a small online payment fee will be charged. To pay rent in person or by mail: All checks should be made out to Nunamaker Property Management. You can drop off or mail your rent check to Nunamaker Property Management, 2495 Cascade Ave. Hood River, OR 97031. For after hour’s convenience, there is a drop box at the main entrance. Please write your address on your payment and do not pay in cash.


How do I report a maintenance request?
For non-emergency maintenance request you can go to our website under the tenant tab, maintenance request. You may login to your tenant portal to be kept up to date on your request.

What is considered an emergency?
The following are examples of maintenance emergencies. The main sewer line is backed up. A pipe broke and water is leaking into the home. There was a break-in and you have an unsecured entrance to the home. Anything that may cause immediate damage to the home if not taken care of immediately.

Who do I contact if it is an emergency?
First contact your local authority if needed, call 911. If it is during business hours, you should call our main office number 541-386-5555. If after hours, you can still call the office 541-386-5555 and be directed to an individual who can help or you can call Ashley’s cell phone is: 541-490-3854 and Alison’s cell phone is: 541-490-3109.

What if my problem isn’t an emergency, but it’s very urgent?
Urgent maintenance situations cannot be repaired outside of office hours. You may call in the request but please follow up with a written request as well. We will do our best to resolve the issue on our next business day. Examples of urgent, non-emergency situations: nonfunctioning appliance, no electricity in one room, backed up sink only, no water in one area of house.

What maintenance items am I responsible for?
You are expected to maintain the home and keep it in as good of condition as when you took possession. You will be charged for repairs caused by misuse or neglect. You will not be responsible for repairs due to normal wear and tear. You are responsible to report items in need of repair within a reasonable time. Some examples of maintenance items you are expected to do at your expense: Replace light bulbs, damaged screens and windows, replace/repair cabinet latches/knobs/handles, replace refrigerator filters, replace furnace filters, mow/water lawns, keep flower beds weeded, and replace batteries in smoke detectors/carbon monoxides.

What should I do before I call Nunamaker Property Management if I have an insect or rodent problem?
Minor insect problems should be treated with sprays (such as Raid). This would include ants, spiders, and roaches. Additionally, these insects are often attracted to a home because of an available "food" source. This occurs when crumbs, dirty dishes, or trash are allowed to accumulate. If the pest problem is persistent, and cannot be adequately controlled with sprays, call the office and we can discuss whether an exterminator is needed to treat your home.

Ants are a common issue in the spring in this area and sometimes even after sprays we still be present. We encourage to just continue using home treatments and limiting available “food”.

What should I do before I call Nunamaker Property Management if my garbage disposal stops working?
Clear all substances from the drain. Never place your hand inside the garbage disposal to check for, or retrieve objects! Check for any small, hard particles caught in the bottom of the disposal. Move the parts in the garbage disposal around with a broom or mop handle. After removing the broom or mop (or other tool), press the little "RESET" button under the garbage disposal. Next, try turning the garbage disposal on by using the regular switch. If it still does not work, call us and we will call a plumber to fix it. If you are found to be responsible for the clog, you will be charged for the plumber's visit.

Will Nunamaker Property Management ever inspect my unit while I’m living there?
As part of our management agreement with the owners, we will conduct routine inspections of the condition of both the interior and exterior of the property. You will be notified prior to any interior inspection. If there are any problems discovered, for which you are responsible, you will be notified. If any conditions are noted which are due to normal wear and tear, the repairs will be made at no cost to you.


Can I paint the walls?
Before making any changes, including painting. You must obtain written approval from Nunamaker Property Management. Please submit a written request. You may be required to return the property to its original condition when you move out.

Can I hang pictures on the wall?
Unless prohibited by the residential lease agreement, pictures may be hung on a thin nail. No nails or screws or other things shall be driven into or fastened upon the floors, window casings, or woodwork. Tenant may be responsible to re-patch holes made. Mirrors, wall units, hanging wall or light fixtures, etc. need special attention and may require professional installation. Please contact Nunamaker Property management for written approval for these larger items, as damage to the premises will be the responsibility of the tenant – tenant will be responsible to re-patch larger holes.


What level of cleanliness am I expected to keep at my unit?
Walls & ceilings
Please keep the walls of the home clean and unmarred. Do not paint or wallpaper the walls without prior written approval of Nunamaker Property Management. If you or your guests smoke inside the house, you will be responsible for all smoke residue and damage.

Vinyl floor coverings/hardwood floors
With normal household use, vinyl may be washed with a solution of warm water and soap. Hardwood floors should be cleaned with products made for Hardwood. Hardwoods can be damaged if you leave standing water, do not use a mop with a bucket that will leave floors wet. Do not use gas, benzene, naphtha, turpentine or waxes containing these solvents. Rubber heel marks can easily be removed with the proper product. You will be responsible for damage done by using improper cleaning materials. You are also responsible for damage to flooring such as broken tiles or torn floor covering.

Routine carpet care requires a thorough vacuuming at least once a week. Heavy traffic areas require more frequent vacuuming to eliminate the course particles that can act as an abrasive on the fiber. Before you moved in, the carpets were professionally cleaned, and they must be professionally cleaned upon vacating. We will have the carpets professionally cleaned after you move out, and the cost is deducted from your security deposit. If you prefer to have them cleaned yourself, you must submit a receipt from a professional carpet cleaner (not a do-it-yourself machine rental) at the time of move-out, unit must be unfurnished AND vacated before cleaning. Cleaning carpets on your own will be done at your own risk if they are not done to our standards we will have to have them re-cleaned at your expense.

Clean stove, drip pans, under drip pans, oven, oven racks, hood and filter regularly to avoid build-up of grease, dirt, or food. Be careful when cleaning the oven that oven cleaner does not drip onto the cabinets or the floor. Do not use oven cleaner on self-cleaning or continuous cleaning ovens. You will be charged for damage to an appliance caused by improper use or cleaning, or by lack of maintenance.

Use at least once a week. Seals may dry and the motor may be damaged by long periods of disuse. Check the bottom of the dishwasher after each use for items that may fall from the racks. Check the perimeter of the door for food items that may have fallen from the counter.

Washer/Dryer hookups
When you install your washer and dryer, it is a good time to check your hoses and washers to eliminate leaks. If you are going to be absent from the property for an extended period of time, turn off the hot and cold water supply. Check the wall and floor monthly for evidence of a hidden leak.

If there is a fireplace in your home, please do not burn pine or any other "sappy" wood. This causes a buildup of residue in the chimney and increases the possibility of fire. The fireplace is not a place to burn cardboard, holiday wrappings, pine needles, Christmas trees, etc.

Moving Out

How do I give Nunamaker Property Management notice if I plan on moving out?
You are required to give 30 days’ notice to terminate your rental contract. This notice must be in writing. We begin counting the 30 days from the day we receive the notice in our office. The notice must include the date you plan to be completely moved out, and a forwarding address.

How will my security deposit be handled when I move out?
THE SECURITY DEPOSIT MAY NOT BE USED AS THE LAST MONTH'S RENT!!! If you fail to pay your last month's rent on time, we may start an eviction, even though you have given notice to move.

A complete explanation of any deductions from your deposit will be sent with your refund check, along with instructions in the event you have a question about a deduction. We will send this to the forwarding address you provide to us, within 31 days of your move-out.

What do I need to do the day I move out?
Bring the keys to our office when you are done moving out. This is very important. You will continue to be charged rent for each day that we don't have the keys back, even if you are no longer living there. Be sure to have utilities turned off, and give a forwarding address to the utility companies for your final bills.

Will Nunamaker Property Management do an inspection of the unit after I move out?
The move-out inspection will be conducted by our staff after you have vacated the premises and turned in the keys. You do not need to be there, but you can be. We will inspect room-by-room, including appliances, windows, blinds, etc., as well as checking the exterior of the house and the yards. We will compare the current condition of the house with the move-in sheet you submitted when you first moved in. Any discrepancies will be noted, and the cost of bringing the house back to the condition it was in at your move-in will be deducted from your security deposit refund. You will not be charged for "normal wear and tear." You will, however, be charged for the cost of removing debris, rubbish, and discarded personal belongings which are left on the premises.


Do you allow pets?
Whether pets are allowed depends on the individual property. Some owners allow them and some don’t. We may require an additional security deposit and/or pet rent, and we will require a pet interview. Pet restrictions do not apply to service animals.

Is there any restrictions on the dog’s breed?
Yes there is. Dogs that are considered "aggressive breeds" will not be considered. Prohibited dog breed list: Staffordshire Terriers, Pit Bull Terriers, Akitas, Chows and mixed breeds of any of the above or any other breeds expressly prohibited by owner’s home insurance policy will not be approved. Exceptions to the prohibited breed list may be granted for qualified service animals, licensed breeders, trained military/K9 working dogs, or for those with an insurance policy with specific coverage for pet damage and for the specific breed. Each property may have its own limitation on breeds and/or size, if you have a pet please inquire with NPM prior to viewing and/or applying for a property.

The property I am interested in says no pets, my cat/dog is an outdoor animal does that matter?
Pet policy refers to the property. It does not matter if it is an “outdoor” animal.

What if my pet passes away or runs away, can I have my additional security deposit back?
No, all security deposits remain in effect until you vacate the property. Until the property is completely vacant, there is no way to check the entire property thoroughly for damage.


What should I do if I get locked out or lose the keys to the property?
It is your responsibility as a tenant to make sure that your keys are kept in a safe place. If you contact your property manager during business hours, the office set of keys may be available to be loaned out. If you lose your keys and need locks changed, we can arrange locks to be changed at tenant’s expense